When I first heard about Shakeology I was extremely skeptical and hesitant to try it. I was already very much into eating clean. Eating non-GMO and organic and eating less processed foods were very important to me. Plus I was NEVER a shake person! I am a researcher...
I immediately went to work Googling Shakeology, reading ingredient labels and reviews and blog posts galore. Even since starting to drink it I still listen to podcasts and read any new info that comes out because I still care immensely what is in what I eat!
I can vouch for the ingredients. I can vouch for how the ingredients are sourced. I can vouch for it genuinely helping me.
I went from a non-shake person to a total advocate for this shake (to my own surprise!)
I went on a semi-rant on Mother's Day with my family about Shakeology. I just want people to drink it and give it a chance!
Here's a brief synopsis of my Mother's Day Shakelogy rant:
- It's not a weight-loss shake or a protein shake
- It's actually made from healthy foods! Yes it's a powder, I also know local a vitamin company that literally grinds up veggies to make into pills for vitamins! It's a powder that has crazy superfoods that you PROBABLY aren't going to buy at the grocery store (if you can even find them) and they're ground up into a powder! It has an expiration date and will go bad (unlike a Twinkie).
- When I went on Pentasa for my Crohn's disease I instantly felt better! It was so weird. That day I could poop normally again (TMI? sorry :-P) Same with Shakeology. It's actually really weird how it works. (Not a cure, but yes, my gut is totally changed when I drink it.)
- Your gut bacteria completely changes in 3 days! You can go from eating crappy foods and feeling awful to putting the proper nutrients in your body and THREE DAYS later your body will be totally different on the inside. I learned this from a nutritionist at a presentation with Team Challenge and the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, it's legit.
- If I eat crappy foods or I don't feel well, I drink Shakeology and any nausea or bloating is GONE. Again, really weird, but amazing and actually does make sense when you think about it. You repair your gut by putting lots of good things in it and feeding the good bacteria!
Obviously this isn't some sort of cure-all, but Shakeology DOES help me! This is why Beachbody refers to it as "your daily dose of dense nutrition" because IT IS!
Now I hear a lot of objections to Shakeology and I want to address a few of them. Some are myths, some are complaints, but they're getting addressed now!
1) I can make a healthy smoothie at home without buying Shakeology.
Yes you can! But they probably will not be near the nutritional value of Shakeology simply because these ingredients aren't highly available. You could probably order them all in bulk online, but that would be expensive! Your homemade shake also will not be one that is put together by professionals who can select ingredients that will properly fuel you and properly nourish your body and your gut.
2) I can buy a protein shake for way cheaper.
Yes you can! But Shakeology isn't a protein shake, so that's not really comparing apples to apples. Shakeology HAS protein in it, and a good amount of it, but it is really a nutrient dense shake that is so much more. A shake of Greek yogurt, strawberries and spinach has protein in it, but you probably wouldn't call that a protein shake either!
3) Shakeology is a powder so it's not natural.
I kind of addressed this one earlier in this post. Just because something is in powder form does not mean it is full of chemicals or not natural! Simply read the ingredients to see whatever you are eating and drinking is made of. I can assure you that Shakeology is clean eating at it's finest.
4) Shakeology doesn't say it's organic or non-GMO.
That's true. Shakeology IS sourced from the best possible locations throughout the world and Beachbody has chosen to not have it certified as organic or non-GMO. Those costs would be passed on to both the customer and the farmers who are producing the crops in Shakeology. They would have to pay high fees to be certified and that is not something Beachbody is requiring at this time.
If you would like to learn more about where the ingredients in Shakeology are being sourced and what is organic this is a great video to watch:
5) Shakeology made me sick.
Some people do get an upset stomach when they start drinking Shakeology. It has happened. I can relate this to another piece of information I learned from the nutritionist I met through Team Challenge and the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. Our bodies have to adjust when we change how we eat. If we RADICALLY change the foods we are eating from the highly processed "normal American diet" to highly nutrient dense diet of low or no processed foods, our bodies need to adjust. Even though we are eating way HEALTHIER, our gut is going to be like "WOAHHHH what is going on?!" Fiber is EXTREMELY important for our gut health, but when we increase our fiber intake quickly, we might not feel the best for those days that our gut bacteria is in transition. Make the best food choices you can, be patient with your body while it adjusts and know that you are fueling yourself right and will level out when you gut bacteria is balanced in its new, healthier way.
6) Shakeology is too expensive.
Of course cost is the final objection that many people have. I get it. Don't have a ton of money laying around either and the price of a whole month's worth of anything looks like a lot! But when you look at the price per day, per shake, per meal/snack, I am 100% okay with spending $4 on that! I used to spend that much on a Coolata and a chocolate chip muffin at Dunkin Donuts on the way to work everyday. For real! Now that money is providing me with a nutrient dense smoothie versus chocolate and whipped cream to start my day.
Also, you can ALWAYS sign up to save money on your shakes every month by enrolling as a coach without doing any coaching or anything! Not to mention if you want to help people get healthy you have the opportunity to cover the cost of your Shakeology every month plus earn more as you providing coaching. If you would like to sign up for the discount or start covering the cost of your Shakeology every month contact me and we can set you up for that!
I'm glad I got that off my chest!
If you have any questions about Shakeology that I didn't address feel free to comment and ask them!
Hi, I'm Jessie!
I live in NH with my husband and our pups. My favorite things are coaching Girls on the Run, eating good food that I didn't have to cook, helping other people work on their health, volunteering for and running races, watching tv, doing yoga, and spending too much time on social media. #Balance